Ahead of the 2016 Federal Budget, Minister of Finance Bill Morneau is asking Canadians across the country what should be included in the Liberal Government’s first budget. We believe that Canada has an opportunity to match its Official Development Assistance (ODA) funding to its ambitions along with the priorities set out in the ministerial mandate letters.
Taking action can be done in 3 steps:
First, tell Minister Morneau that Canada’s Official Development Assistance matters to you. Send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the text below to copy into your email:
Topic: Pre-budget consultation submission for Budget 2016
Dear Minister Bill Morneau, P.C., M.P.:
Thank you for the opportunity to participate in the pre-budget consultations.
During the election campaign you participated in an Engineers Without Borders Canada (EWB) campaign asking for Members of our 42nd Parliament to show leadership in poverty eradication, and I am heartened by your government’s commitments to tackling inequality, climate change and ensuring that our development assistance focuses on the poorest and most vulnerable people, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa. These are important issues to me, and I believe they are important to Canada.
Canada has fallen behind our international partners on foreign aid spending. In 2014 Canada’s Official Development Assistance (ODA) dropped to historic lows spending just 0.24% of Gross National Income compared to 0.30% spent by our OECD partners.
In your upcoming budget, I wish to ask that Canada commit to predictable, annual increases in our funding to ODA. Canada should commit to spending at least as much as the OECD Development Assistance Committee (DAC) donor average, and to surpass recent funding levels of 0.34% of GNI before the end of the 42nd Parliament. This will enable Canada to be on track to meeting the United Nations’ target of committing 0.7% of GNI, and can assist in Canada’s ambition to fulfill the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.
[Your name here]
Second, send a tweet to show your support for increased ODA:
- .@Bill_Morneau ensure we increase foreign assistance funding to achieve @GlobalGoalsUN results & @mclaudebibeau Ministerial mandate #PBC16
- Canada can show leadership by matching foreign aid funding of other @OECD countries by increasing ODA in #Budget2016 @Bill_Morneau #ODAFTW
- I asked @Bill_Morneau to increase Canada's #globaldev funding in #Budget2016 at Budget.gc.ca @mclaudebibeau #PBC16 #ODAFTW
- .@Bill_Morneau Accroître le budget d’aide pour atteindre les résultats de @GlobalGoalsUN et le mandat de la ministre@mclaudebibeau #PBC16
- Le Canada se démarquerait en versant autant d’aide que d’autres pays de @OECDet en haussant l’APD dans #Budget2016 @Bill_Morneau #ODAFTW
- J’ai demandé@Bill_Morneau d’accroître le financement du #globaldev dans le #Budget2016 à Budget.gc.ca @mclaudebibeau #PBC16 #ODAFTW
Finally, set up a meeting with your local MP during the week of Feb 8th-12th. Have a look at our talking points and our brief to help you prepare for your meeting.
Download These Resources to Take Action: